Discussion: lyrics to the soundtrackReported This is a featured thread

Showing 7 posts
chateaurew
chateaurew
lyrics to the soundtrack
Feb 23 2009, 2:29 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 23 2009, 2:29 AM EST
hey... if this has already been asked.... mucho apologies... but does anyone know what language the female singers are singing in the BSG opening?... and if possible what the translation is? Thanks in advance! 7  out of 7 found this valuable. Do you?    
Keyword tags: None
LadyJewlz
LadyJewlz
1. RE: lyrics to the soundtrack
Feb 23 2009, 10:11 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 23 2009, 10:12 AM EST
One web sites says:
"The opening theme song for seasons one, two, and three is a famous Hindu mantra, the Gayatri Mantra, taken from the Rig Veda. The words are "OM bhûr bhuvah svah tat savitur varçnyam bhargô dçvasya dhîmahi dhiyô yô nah pracôdayât", which may be translated in various ways but means approximately "may we attain that excellent glory of Savitar the God / so May he stimulate our prayers"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407362/trivia
P.S. Nice Gir picture!
20  out of 23 found this valuable. Do you?    
chateaurew
chateaurew
2. RE: lyrics to the soundtrack
Feb 23 2009, 11:25 AM EST | Post edited: Feb 23 2009, 11:25 AM EST
Wow.... thanks for the quick response and the wonderful information. I told my husband that I thought it was of ancient origin.. he held out to the idea that it was English being recorded at a very low speed...LOL... I should have bet him!

Thanks you! and I am glad that you enjoyed the picture!
3  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    
RRoble
RRoble
3. RE: lyrics to the soundtrack
Feb 24 2009, 4:07 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 24 2009, 4:07 PM EST
It sounded like it's from a Phish tune I've heard! 2  out of 6 found this valuable. Do you?    
amy_c
amy_c
4. RE: lyrics to the soundtrack
Feb 28 2009, 6:55 PM EST | Post edited: Feb 28 2009, 6:55 PM EST
"Wow.... thanks for the quick response and the wonderful information. I told my husband that I thought it was of ancient origin.. he held out to the idea that it was English being recorded at a very low speed...LOL... I should have bet him!

Thanks you! and I am glad that you enjoyed the picture!"
I've read that the theme music is supposed to be some sort of remix of the original tune, too. Is that true? I can't quite hear the original in it and my husband thinks I'm full of it.

0  out of 3 found this valuable. Do you?    

jedimaster2
5. RE: lyrics to BattleStar Galactica opening credit song
Aug 10 2010, 1:30 PM EDT | Post edited: Aug 10 2010, 1:30 PM EDT
there's a brilliant translation here.

http://www.petervis.co.cc/gallery/web/bsg/battlestar%20galactica.html

hope it helps.
5  out of 11 found this valuable. Do you?    
DonaNicole
DonaNicole
6. RE: lyrics to the soundtrack
Sep 17 2011, 9:41 PM EDT | Post edited: Sep 17 2011, 9:41 PM EDT
"hey... if this has already been asked.... mucho apologies... but does anyone know what language the female singers are singing in the BSG opening?... and if possible what the translation is? Thanks in advance!"
This´╗┐ is a soulful rendition of the Gayatri Mantra, an ancient Hindu Vedic hymn from the RigVeda (1700-1100 B.C)

Om Bhur Bhuvah Svaha,

Tat Savitur Varenyam

Bhargo Devasya Dhimahi

Dhiyo Yo Nah Prachodayat.

General Translation:

We meditate upon the spiritual effulgence of that adorable supreme divine reality

Who is the source of the physical, the astral and the heavenly spheres of existence.

May that supreme divine being enlighten our intellect, so that we may realise the supreme truth.
33  out of 34 found this valuable. Do you?